Tips for Creating Your IT Professional Profile
Your IT professional profile within the Techdeck platform is essentially your shop window. It is your introduction to businesses and an opportunity for you to showcase your expertise and experience. The more precise and coherent your profile, the easier it will be for businesses to search your skills and invite you to check out relevant job posts. First impressions most definitely count, here are some tips on how to create a profile that will maximise impact.
Create a Standout Headline
- Use a headline that best summarises your skills and expertise.
- The more concise, the better. Keep it short and to the point.
- Highlight keywords that will stand out and are most relevant to you.
- Remember that, although your headline isn’t fully visible until someone clicks on your profile, it is the very first part of your profile they will read when clicking through.
Select a High-Quality Profile Photograph
- Your profile picture helps businesses get a sense of who you are.
- Pick a photo that conveys professionalism and reflects you as a person. Businesses want to work with people they trust.
- Try not to leave the photo section blank, but equally avoid using a bad quality photo or a picture of your dog!
- A forward-facing, head and shoulders shot with good lighting and no distracting filters will do the trick.
Be Precise About Your Skills and Expertise
- Only pick one headline category that is most relevant to your experience to showcase your profile.
- The more niche and precise you are when choosing skills tags, the better you will appear in company searches later on.
- Try not to overload your profile with a large amount of skills tags. Pick and include the ones that most closely reflect your headline and experience (a maximum of 10 in total is a good guide).
Include Your Professional Certifications
- When adding skills tags be sure to include any relevant certifications that relate to your experience, for example, ‘CCNA’ or ‘CCNP’.
- Although you aren’t required to upload your certifications directly to your profile, our team will ask to see them during the verification stage.
Clearly Define Your Employment History
- Include a brief description of your roles and responsibilities within this section.
- Concentrate on any particular projects that relate to the type of IT projects you’d like to work on now and in the future.
- Use lists and bullet points to emphasise any particular IT support experience and achievements.
Expand on Your Educational Background
- Avoid simply listing where you studied.
- Include a detailed description of certain areas of study, any placements, internships, projects, skills gained and any extracurricular activities and interests.
Extra Tips and Pointers
If you have any additional skills, include them in the ‘skills and expertise’ section. For example:
- What language skills do you have?
- What is your level of English proficiency?
- Are you security cleared?
- Can you provide evidence of professional insurance?
- Be sure to include your hourly rate and check that it is typical for your location and level of expertise.
Thank you for joining us on the Techdeck journey, this is just the beginning!
If you need any extra advice on creating your IT professional profile within the platform, please get in touch today.
If you haven’t created your profile yet, start today by signing up here for free.